4 Festive Plants That Are Poisonous For Your Pet

christmas cat
Posted in: Animal Care, Cats, Dogs

4 Festive Plants That Are Poisonous For Your Pet

4 Festive Plants That Are Poisonous For Your Pet

 

At times of celebration, many of us are decorating our homes to mark the occasion.

However, there are a number of traditional festive plants that can be very toxic and should be kept away from our pets.

Here are four festive plants to have on your radar this year. 

 

  • Mistletoe - The toxic chemicals in mistletoe are called lectins and phoratoxins, and these chemicals affect the heart, causing low blood pressure and slowed heart rate. 

 

  • Holly - The berries of the holly plant are toxic—not only to animals, but also children. When ingested, it causes holly poisoning with sympoms of; drooling, bleeding in the mouth, vomiting and diarrhea - to name a few. 

 

  • Poinsettia Plant - Their iconic red petals are actually leaves that contain chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters. They're mildly toxic to dogs and cats and can cause drooling, oral pain, diarrhoea and vomiting — but only if they're ingested in large enough quantities.

 

  • Christmas tree - Whilst midly toxic, they may produce oils which can cause irritation to your pets mouth and stomach but is very unlikely for your pet to eat enough to cause fatal harm. 

 

 

Dec 19
  • 25